- 6 hours of video
- 8.4 hours completion time
- 3 Multiple Choice Assessments
- 13 Optional Skill Building Activities
- Real classroom examples
National writing education consultant and author
Chairman and founder of the Center for Performance Assessment
This practical program is designed to help you improve your reading and writing instruction, without having to make radical changes to what you are already doing. Instead of wasting time and money on the latest and greatest reading software solution, this program emphasizes how you can improve your teaching through the use of an array of research-based classroom strategies that have been proven to increase student reading and writing skills. Best of all, the program includes countless real classroom examples so that you can actually watch master teachers using the strategies recommended in the program.
This program is NOT about endless reading theory and irrelevant studies that tell you what you already know, but practical things you can employ in your classroom right now. Following are just some of the things included in the program:
- Watch a powerful guided writing example as a teacher “shapes the text” for her students.
- Learn the profound effect “ visualization” can have for young readers – then watch as a teacher guides her students through this important process.
- Discover how to teach the language of description (listen as acclaimed expert Marica Freeman provides you with step-by-step instruction).
- See what shared reading really looks like in action – and learn why the process of selecting reading groups can make or break your success.
- Uncertain whether you should spend more time on writing? A spell-binding presentation by national expert Doug Reeves should leave no doubt in your mind.
- Learn four powerful ways you can encourage students to draw inferences from their reading. Watch a real teacher in action as she relentlessly draws out this information from her students.